Hubbytime

My husband's days off from work are Thursday and Friday. For those of you who know me, this means Shama probably won't be available to speak on the phone until Saturday. Why, you ask? Is it because her man is so over baring and demanding that he doesn't allow her to speak on the phone when he's around? Nope. That's not it. In fact, possibly quite the opposite. Ya see, I look at it like this: My man works 8 to 12 hours a day. Now add in travel time to that and imagine how much time we have to talk. That's right, not much quality time there folks. So on his days off I want to make the best of it. I want to be available for him if he wants to discuss things. I don't wanna walk around the house in my khimar (so I can stick my cell phone in it to be hands free)gabbing to my buddies and ignoring him. I don't wanna be bothered with anything but him. And believe me, sometimes he does bother me. And I'm positive that I can get pretty deep under his skin too. But even if we hang around the house all day and say no more than 3 words to one another at least we've spent that time with each other. Sometimes we don't even speak for hours, just walk around each other, he drops a sock, I pick it up. I leave the milk out he goes behind me and puts it away. Lunch time I fix him a plate and hand it to him. We laugh with the kids. I get up and go to another room and he cleans the kids up and washes plates. We may read the Internet news together and only speak to say "move the page down". But this is our quality time. This is our slice of serenity and comfort in a world of chaos.


So ladies, girlfriends, sisters, if you've ever been on the phone with me and heard me say those famous words "Lemme call you back latter, my hubby's here", rest assure I'm not try to hide my conversations from him or be sneaky. I'm not rushing off because he's angry or something. I simply want my hubbytime. Only Allah knows when the fun will end. Only Allah knows if this is our last day together. I don't want my last day with my husband to be remembered as the day I stayed on the phone with sister so and so for 3 hours and talked about how our kids make us crazy. I'd rather spend it not talking to my husband in our symbiotic "round the house dance" that we do. I just love my hubby that much.
Category: ,

2 comments:

cindy said...

As Salaamu Alaikum Sis:

Mash'Allah, what a wonderful post and so true when you say that we should give up some of our ME time and make it WE time.
I enjoyed reading your posts.

:)

IslamicGems said...

mashallah, reminds me of exactly how i am :)

Post a Comment